Data entry for those who do not know can simply be defined as the form of transcribing data or information into forms, online documents etc. following a given specification. This information are keyed into online systems, hand written documents and work sheets (Ms word, Excel etc) by data entry specialist for a number of purposes which includes; product registration, gathering important client details, testing a new service etc. Most jobs on recording data are done by multinational business organisation that have numerous customer data or products to catalogue, online commerce sites, government/private institution etc.
The Skills, Qualifications and Tools needed for Data Entry
Although this niche requires no tertiary form of education,it requires some technical knowledge of the following:
- Language: An adequate reading and understanding of English or the Lingua franca (language) of your country is the major requirement needed to fulfil your role as a data processor for an understanding of the information placed on your front increases one’s ability to arrange data in a detailed manner while avoiding errors.
- Typing: Your ability to type with the QWERTY/other keyboard formats be it on a typing machine or on a personal computer is the second most important skill set a prospective data typist should have.
- Tool Set: Having your own personal work station for is mandatory for those who work from home. This workstation may consist of a personal computer/ typing machine, internet modem, forms, pencils/pens and the necessary furniture required for supporting them. This simplifies your job and increases your productivity.
Meeting all the above requirements shows that you are now ready to pursue a full or part time career entering data where and when necessary and getting exceptional jobs to determine your competence is the next step for you.
How to Find Exceptional Data Entry Jobs
The availability of these jobs has declined throughout the years as more people have become aware of the data entry work niche causing an over flood of man-power. This has made the issue of fraudulent activities (that pervade any successful business niche) to be prominent both offline and online. Therefore getting a well paying, original data entry gig takes some skill and inside knowledge that would be discussed below:
Physical Telecommuting/search: This method eliminates approximately 90 percent of the risk of working for fraudulent individuals but it is not recommended for the faint-hearted, it involves scanning through medical journal, law magazines and physically visiting production sites to apply for data entry positions or asking friends who work for established organisations if your skills might be needed on an on-going process. The physical exertion you will have to go through drastically reduces the problem of falling for scams.
Use of Online Outsourcing Platforms: Most honest small businesses and private individuals who search for your unique skills, take their jobs to outsourcing platforms for they are also cautious of outsourcing jobs to fraudulent service providers that can potentially be scams. Therefore, they register on third party platforms that serve as mediators for both payment and project submission. Data entry job seekers are thereby advised to register their skills on these platforms, follow its rules and regulations to also avoid compromising situations or the probability of been scammed. Third party job platforms can be found by conducting a simple Google search and websites such as freelancer.com, elance.com etc are great places to register on.
Filling application forms: Business organisations also offer data entry positions in a full time capacity, listing them in recruiting platforms under the category of typing assistants, data entry clerk, receptionists etc. Applying for these jobs puts you in a position to avoid scams and to receive a steady flow of income.
Getting an exceptional job is solving just half of the problem for the work details and sheer amount of data to be processed can overwhelm the un-prepared individual. Therefore, a strict work plan and excellent work ethic must be cultivated to successfully meet deadlines especially when working from home. While Handling data entry projects from home might seem the sensible thing to do for it allows you to be flexible in your work approach and keep to a personal time table, the freedom associated with running your own work station could prove detrimental in the following ways:
- Meeting deadlines: the absence of a boss breathing down your neck and urging you to complete a data entry task means you have to find your own means of motivation to complete tasks assigned to you.
- No excuses: your outsourcer does not care about your personal well being nor the reason you couldn’t finish an assigned task, all he or she wants is the completed project at the allotted time. Therefore dedication and good people skills are needed to handle difficult situations that may arise when you fall behind.