The larger statistics every year comes out regarding mental illness diseases where there is a larger fraction of people who are affected by stress and mental disorder. On the other hand there is a growing number of addiction cases which are called substance abuse. The range various from drug, alcohol, tobacco, sex, gambling. The situation gets worse when cases come up where a patient is suffering from dual syndromes of mental disorder and addiction problem. For this reason these days’ good residential addiction treatment institutes have dual diagnosis center in them.
Why Dual Diagnosis Center is Kept In A Residential Addiction Treatment Institute?
Dual diagnosis is a way of integrating the treatments of mental disorder and substance abuse in a scientifically proven method. What is interesting to know that though the varieties of mental disorder and substance abuse is widely known among the common mass, less information and awareness is there for the dual diagnosis syndromes in mental patients. Thus with an intention to make people about this method of treatment the following facts are provided:
- Dual diagnosis patients are present in abundance in all communities. Every third individual suffering from mental illness suffers from one or more substance abuse problems like drug or alcohol.
- On the reverse case, it has been found that those having one or more substance abuse like drug or alcohol, 50% of the whole count has some serious mental disorder.
- The United States prison system projects a lot of dual diagnosis cases. According to research it has been found that more that 20% of the convicts staying in the US prisons suffer from dual diagnosis syndrome.
- Research and statistics suggest that 35% of individuals affected by alcoholism have one mental disorder.
- Most people are unknown about the term “integrated treatment” in dual diagnosis. It means a very effective way of treating a mentally ill patient in the supervision and care of addiction counselor and psychiatric professionals. They work as a team and sketch plans of treatment which can vary in different patients.
- Suicidal tendencies are at a very high rate in case of dual diagnosis patients. Statistics and study says that individuals having these co-occuring disorders have a higher tendency to kill themselves that drug addicts patients or those having mental disorder.
- Since dual diagnosis methods vary among patients and the process being quite complicated, there is no fixed time period for the treatment to finish. The time can vary from a few months to almost a complete year.
- Dual diagnosis is not an easy treatment method and hence not all centers that claim to have this service run quite successfully. Thus while enrolling a patient in one of such centers; one needs to get hold of the success ratio of such treatment.
I am Jessica Mathews, a home maker and a mother of thirteen year old girl who had been found to be suffering from this co-occurrence disorder. But after undergoing treatment in a dual diagnosis center within a residential addiction treatment institute she is leading a smooth life for the past one year.